I never knew there were so many different types of bread before working at the Sam’s Club bakery. Bread comes frozen in so many shapes, sizes, and flavors. It’s made fresh every day at the club. I also learned that Sam’s Club donates bread daily to its local food bank.
Fun Bread Facts:
- Each American consumes, on average, 53 pounds of bread per year.
- One bushel of wheat will produce 73 one-pound loaves of bread.
- Farmers receive approximately 5 cents (or less) from each loaf of bread sold.
- Bread is probably the one food eaten by people of every race, culture, and religion.
- Breaking bread is a universal sign of peace.
- (Source: http://breaddaily.tripod.com/fun_bread_facts.htm)
Unfortunately, every second a person dies of hunger. Right now, more than 1 billion people suffer from hunger. This means that 1 in every 6 people on Earth don’t get enough food to live a healthy life. This year 36 million of these people will die of hunger! (Source: http://www.theworldcounts.com/counters/global_hunger_statistics/how_many_people_die_from_hunger_each_year)
Bible verses about bread:
- Matthew 6:11 Give us this day our daily bread.
- John 6:35 Jesus said to them, I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.
- Acts 2:46 And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts.
Let’s us pray for God’s provision upon His people and for the means the end world hunger. May the truth of gospel reach every nook and cranny of the Earth, so everyone in the world would know that Jesus is the Bread of Life!
Our Daily Bread is an excellent Christian daily devotional.