How do you define the character of God? I define God as being Awesome! The word “Awesome” is mentioned 38 times in the Bible. In the Greek language, awesome is pronounced phobos. It has two meanings: 1. to fear and 2. to respect God.
Here are some “Awesome” verses:
- Who is like you, O Lord, among the gods? Who is like you, majestic in holiness, awesome in glorious deeds, doing wonders? (Ex 15:11)
- “God is clothed with awesome majesty.” (Job 37:22)
- “Come and see what God has done: he is awesome in his deeds toward the children of man.” (Ps 66:5)
- “And I said, “O Lord God of heaven, the great and awesome God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments.” (Neh. 1:5)
- “Awesome is God from his sanctuary; the God of Israel—he is the one who gives power and strength to his people. Blessed be God! (Ps 68:35)
- “I prayed to the Lord my God and made a confession, saying, “O Lord, the great and awesome God, who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments.” (Dan 9).
Praying for you to have an awesome day with God!